Since our lifestyle is far away from what a healthy lifestyle is, getting extra fat around the belly and other parts of the body is normal. Moreover, lack of exercise, unhealthy eating habits, and stress are the real culprits behind a flabby tummy.
However, losing belly fat requires relatively more time and effort. You have to follow a regular fitness regimen and pay attention to your diet.
Besides other types of exercises, yoga can also play a key role while assisting you to lose belly fat. Yogasana is one of the most appropriate and highly recommended forms of yoga that helps to reduce belly fat. So let’s take a look at yogasana to lose belly fat to get you started.
What is Yogasana?
Before we go ahead and talk about the yogasana poses, let’s take a look at the salient features of this yoga. Usually, the term means seated posture. It is primarily used in meditation.
However, at present, yogasana or yoga asana refers to a variety of yoga poses. Now, you can practice standing poses, reclining poses, inverted postures, and some other poses to seek the benefits of this type of yoga.
Yogasana tends to offer a wide range of health benefits that are physical as well as mental. However, here we will talk about those poses of yogasana which are helpful in losing belly fat.
Yogasana Poses to Reduce Belly Fat
Here, we will explain some of the best yogasana poses to lose belly fat.
1. Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation)
Surya Namaskar is one of the most effective yoga positions which helps to reduce belly fat at a great pace. With its forward and backward bends, you can stretch your body, especially in the abdominal area.
Deep breathing also helps to detoxify the body. However, the best time to practice Surya Namaskar is slightly before sunrise.
How to Perform
Stand with your shoulders relaxed, chest expanded, and feet together. Keep your face towards the sun for maximum benefits.
- To start with, lift both your arms and inhale
- While exhaling, bring your arms close to your chest and keep them in prayer position
- Now inhale again and raise your hands; this time you need to stretch backward
- When exhaling bend forward and place your forehead close to the knees
- After that, bend the left knee and stretch the right leg slightly backward
- Place your palms on the floor and create a downward dog position
- Return to the initial position.
2. Tadasana (Mountain Pose)
No doubt, tadasana is an ideal pose for warm-up. By improving the blood circulation, it helps to activate the core. Besides preparing your body for other kinds of poses, you can also use it to lose belly fat.
How to Perform
- While standing on your feet, keep your heels spread out to some extent
- Join the big toes of both feet and keep your spine in an erect position
- Now stretch the hands and keep palms in close relation to each other
- Try to inhale deeply and stretch the spine
- Raise your folded hands over the head and try to stretch
- Also, make sure to lift your ankles while standing on your toes
- Keep your eyes on the ceiling
- Practice this pose 30 seconds
- Deeply inhale and exhale slowly
- Try to repeat this pose 10 times during each session
3. Padahastasana (Standing Forward Bend)
Padahastasana is known for its amazing benefits. It helps to relieve stress issues as well as anxiety. Apart from this, your abdominal area also becomes relaxed and soft.
As a result, the stomach will continue to perform its task without any disturbance. This helps to address a variety of abdominal issues.
How to Perform
- In order to perform this kind of yogasana pose, you have to place both your hands on either side
- Keep your feet close to each other
- The spine should be in an erect position
- Inhale deeply while lifting your hands
- When bending forward, exhale slowly
- Bend forward completely and try to touch the floor with your palms
- Avoid bending your knees
- If can’t touch the ground with your palm, try touching your toes or just the ankles
- When coming back to Tadasana pose, inhale again
- Try to stay in Padahastasana pose for a slightly longer time
4. Naukasana (Boat Pose)
Naukasana is referred to as the most recommended yoga postures. It helps to remove belly fat and gives you a flatter belly. You have to keep your body in this posture for over one minute. It helps the abdominal muscles to contract, which also helps to tone your abs.
How to Perform
- Just lie down on the floor or a yoga mat by taking a supine position
- Keep the legs stretched and toes facing upward
- Put your palms on the floor
- Start to inhale deeply
- When exhaling, lift your body from the ground
- Try to stretch out your arms and keep them parallel to your legs
- The fingers and toes should be perfectly aligned in the same direction
- Keep your eyes on your toes
- By keeping this position, you must feel the contraction of abdominal muscles
- Start to breathing normally and hold your posture for 30 seconds to 1 minute
- Now inhale deeply and exhale slowly to relax your body
- Return to the supine position and repeat this asana for five times
5. Ustrasana (Camel Pose)
This pose is usually performed to relax after the Naukasana pose. During the Naukasana pose, you experience a backward stretch. You have to touch the ankles in this pose, which helps to tone up your abdominal muscles.
Through this pose, you can release the tension experienced by your belly muscles. Similarly, you can also enjoy and relax while stretching your body.
How to Perform
- To start with, you have to sit in Vajrasana pose and slowly lift the body
- You have to sit in a manner, which puts most of your body weight on the knees
- Make sure your heels are in a position perpendicular to the ground
- Try to exhale deeply and create an arch with your back
- Place both hands at the backside of your body and try to grip your ankles
- Slightly tilt your head in a backward direction and stretch
- Keep stretching until your abdominal muscles also start to feel the pressure of such stretching
- Keep your body in this posture for 20 to 30 seconds
- You can extend the time up to 1 minute once you have mastered this pose
- Coming towards the end, exhale slowly and relax
- Now come back to Vajrasana pose
- You can repeat this pose for at least five times during regular workout or yoga session
- The duration between each repetition should be 15 seconds
6. Uttanpadasana (Raised Foot Pose)
The Uttanpadasana pose allows you to work on the rectus abdominus and other parts of the abdominals. When you work on the thigh and hip regions, it will prove to be quite helpful.
This is one of those poses which tend to be effective and efficient to eliminate belly fat. You can quickly get rid of the fat that accumulates around the hips and waist.
How to Perform
To perform this exercise, you have to lie down on the floor with your face towards the ceiling. Your legs should be stretched out and the heels must touch each other. Keep your hands on each side of your body. Moreover, the palms should be facing the ground.
- Before starting this yogasana, make sure to inhale deeply
- After that, exhale slowly to relax your body
- Now tilt your back and place your head in such a manner that your ears are aligned with your shoulders
- Keep the hands at the initial position and continue to breathe normally
- While doing the stretching, try to reach the maximum possible level
- However, make sure to prevent your back from any damage or pain
- Again, inhale deeply and raise your legs upward (at a 45-degree angle)
- Stay in this pose for 15 to 30 seconds
- To extend the posture, try to exhale deeply and straighten up your legs
- During this pose, your legs should make a 90-degree angle with the floor
- While in this pose, continue to breathe normally and hold this pose for 30 seconds
- After that, inhale deeply and slowly lower your legs to the floor
- Continue breathing normally and try to repeat the pose for at least 10 times
- After every repetition, make sure to relax for 15 seconds
7. Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose)
This yogasana allows you to stretch your abdomen perfectly and also helps to lose additional belly fat. Through regular practice, it is also possible to strengthen the back muscles.
Therefore, this yogasana tends to be the most recommended pose, which helps to lower the post-partum back pain.
How to Perform
While performing this pose, you just need to lie down on the floor or yoga mat with your chest facing downwards.
- Keep your legs spaced out slightly
- Your toes must continuously touch the floor
- Place your hands on each side of the body
- The palms should be facing the floor
- Now place your palms under your shoulders
- Inhale deeply and then slowly lift your head off the floor
- Keep looking towards the ceiling during this stage
- Now try to tuck in your pubis while moving towards the navel
- When doing this pose, make sure to keep your buttocks tight
- Keep your body in this position for up to 30 seconds
- During this stage, you should continue to breathe normally
- After that, you need to take a deep breath and lift your waist upward
- Make sure to bend backward without hurting your back
- Again, hold your body in this position for not more than 60 seconds
- While in this posture, you should continue to breathe normally
- After that, exhale and slowly lower your body to the floor
- Bring all your body parts, including chest, forehead, and neck, to normal position
- Now go to the prone position and stretch your arms slowly
- You should repeat this pose 10 times during each yoga session
8. Dhanurasana (Bow Pose)
If you are looking for a yogasana that does an amazing job for toning your tummy, try Dhanurasana. It not only stretches the abdomen but also helps to improve the overall strength of your thighs, back, arms, and chest.
How to Perform
To start with, just lie down in the prone position and close your legs. Keep the hands on either side of the body, while your palms must face the floor. This posture requires you to put as much pressure on your belly muscle as you can.
- Before starting this asana bow pose, exhale deeply
- Now bend the knees in an upward direction
- Try to lift your head and then bend it backward
- While keeping your head in this position, try to grab your ankles
- During this situation, you have to support your whole body weight by stretching your abdomen
- Meanwhile, continue to inhale deeply and try to lift your knees slightly higher
- Now hold your body in this position for 30 seconds
- You can increase this duration up to 1 minute after practicing this pose for a while
- When maintaining this posture, make sure to breathe normally
- After that, start to stretch your body by exhaling and relaxing
- To draw more benefits out of this asana, you should try to repeat it 10 times in the beginning
- You can increase this number up to 30 times after some time
- However, make sure to relax your body for at least 15 seconds after each repetition
By going through this article/guide, you can now understand how a yoga posture can help reduce belly fat. All these yoga poses have numerous benefits, and reduction in belly fat is one of them.
However, for better outcomes, you also need to follow a proper diet plan. By consuming a balanced diet and following a strict workout plan, you can achieve the goal of a flatter belly.
Furthermore, you should also try to get adequate sleep. This is because both the quality and quantity of sleep do affect physical health and wellness. Yogasana also helps to relax your mind and ensure better sleep during the night.